CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Thank you for stopping by to view my blog. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy sharing my favorite thing to do.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Dipping and Gifting (Day 6)

Today homemade caramels dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with all kinds of toppings I can find in my stash. I have not been feeling well of late so I was concerned about standing over the stove and stirring caramel forever. I have been using the same recipe from a Betty Crocker cookbook for years and I have found it to be tried and true. I know there are other great caramel recipes out there so, I started my search. I came upon a microwavable caramel recipe. Yep, in the microwave… To add to my joy, it was the same recipe that I have been using for years. All I could think about is I have got to try it. No candy thermometers, no dead arm from stirring and hoping I don’t burn the caramel. I am so happy right now. It is in the microwave and so far it looks good and it smells good. This is the site where I found the instructions for microwave caramel. The title of the article is Gifts From the Kitchen. http://www.countryhome.com/recipes/seasonalholiday/giftsfromkitchen_3.html.
I hope I am not the only one that did not know about this heaven sent idea. If so, don’t tell me. Let me languish in my find. OK, back to the candy. I will dip some in chocolate and sprinkle with smoked sea salt flakes. The next set will have a whole pecan placed on top and drizzled in chocolate offering the unmistakable taste of the popular turtle candies and the last set I will dust with silver and gold sugar powder.Once the basic caramel is ready there are many options for candy.

Four candies, plain caramel wrapped in wax paper, caramel dipped in chocolate and decorated with candy transfer, caramel dipped in chocolate with a pecan on top and finally caramel dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with smoked sea salt. YUM!


Adding to the gift basket

You will need:


1 cup butter (no substitutions)

2 1/2 cups packed brown sugar

1 cup light-colored corn syrup

One 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk

1 tsp. vanilla

Parchment paper
Follow the microwavable instructions listed in the link above.


Cooking in the microwave, It works well.



Caramels in their plain and delicious  glory
 
Chocolate and salt

Chocolate and pecans

Candy transfer sheet







0 comments:

Post a Comment